Description & Details
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) is a condition that affects the central vision of the eye, making it blurred instead of sharp. There are different stages of the disease, and the rate of progression varies, impacting one or both eyes.
Macular Degeneration Risk Factors
Age-Related Macular Degeneration is an eye disease that causes permanent loss of vision in the center of the retina. The condition typically occurs in individuals over the age of 60, which is why it is referred to as “age-related.” The major factors which increase the risk for AMD include:
- Race and ethnicity
- Family history
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular disease
- Sun damage
- Diet and alcohol
- Previous cataract surgery
Best Vitamins for Macular Degeneration
The nutritional supplements recommended for AMD came from the results of the Age-Related Disease Studies – AREDS and AREDS2.
The AREDS study, published in 2001, evaluated the best vitamins for macular degeneration and its progression. The study followed 3,600 participants who had AMD or drusen, the substance that causes AMD.
The AREDS2 study launched in 2006. This study included 4,203 participants and showed that beta-carotene, what was included in the original AREDS formula, increased the risk for lung cancer for those who were former smokers. The AREDS2 formula substitutes beta-carotene for lutein and zeaxanthin.
The Macular Health Formula includes additional nutrients beyond those in the AREDS2 formula that are beneficial to vision health and slowing the progression of macular degeneration. These additional nutrients include bilberry, grape seed extract, alpha lipoic acid, selenium, and folic acid.
- Bilberry – strengthens the walls of capillaries, increases circulation within the retinas
- Grape Seed Extract (GSE) – helps blood flow, prevents blood clots, strengthens blood vessels
- Alpha Lipoic Acid – helps slow progression of retinal changes
- Selenium – helps protect against damage caused by free radicals
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B6 and Folate) – breaks down homocysteine so it does not harm blood vessels